Did you know that homeless women veterans are one of the fastest growing populations in the US? North Carolina had the 6th largest female veteran population in 2013 and it is estimated that between 4,000 and 8,000 live in Buncombe County. But most people are unaware of what these women have to deal with after they leave the military or the discrimination they suffer in comparison to their male peers.
Homeless women veterans have to deal with issues like:
- Acquiring job skills to be competitive in the employment market;
- Budgeting personal finances from a drastic variance in pay;
- Developing new habits to reintegrate into civilian life;
- Living without the structure that the military provided for years;
- Feeling like an outcast amongst people without experience with military life or combat;
- Mental health concerns like depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Military Sexual Trauma (MST) and suicidal thoughts;
- Misinformation and discrimination when attempting to access resources available to veterans.